Registering a trademark involves more than filling out a form. Working with an experienced lawyer helps to ensure that the applied-for trademark meets the criteria for registration and is available for use before any application is prepared and filed.
These symbols are acceptable for registration under Canadian law:
- Letters or numerals.
- Logos (designs).
- Colour (as a feature).
- Three-dimensional objects (non-functional aspects of shapes).
- Packaging (trade dress or distinguishing guise).
At least some clearance searching can help you avoid filing an application for a trademark that does not meet the registration criteria and/or is unavailable because it is being used by another business.
We have significant expertise in trademark clearance searching and obtaining trademark registrations for clients of various sizes and in diverse industries, from Canadian start-ups to multinational corporations. We also prepare and file official marks and certification marks.
Our experience with settling trademark disputes and transactions gives us the insight to prepare trademark applications that are better able to survive an attack in a trademark dispute or pass due diligence when a trademark is sold.
Our extensive network of international foreign associates helps us to clear trademarks and obtain registrations in the United States, the European Union, and beyond.
Our trademark application and registration services include:
- Searches and opinions to assess whether a trademark is available for use and registration, as well as trademark validity opinions and trademark infringement opinions.
- Preparing and filing trademark applications in Canada.
- Navigating Canadian trademark applications through the examination process, including responding to Canadian examiner's reports and registration.
- Supervising the preparation, filing, prosecution and registration of foreign trademark applications via trusted foreign associates.
- Advising on what steps your business needs to take to maintain its trademark rights.
- Trademark portfolio services, leveraging our state-of-the-art deadline and reminder system.
To become a Trademark client, please contact: